Tomorrow, on September 1st, venues in over 1,500 locations and cities across the United States will light up red as part of the #RedAlert Day of Action. We wanted to fill you in on our plan to participate so you can coordinate and prepare accordingly.
First, there will be a new letter writing campaign: Though the event was originally planned to support the RESTART Act, the Red Alert Day of Action is an opportunity for us to reiterate our worker-first priorities to congress. Accordingly, the International has created a fresh letter-writing campaign for behind-the-scenes workers and allies to participate in. The campaign can be accessed at iatse.co/redalert.
Second, there will be a social media campaign: The only way the Red Alert day of action is going to get any attention in the halls of congress is if the campaign goes viral on social media. There are a few ways to participate on social media:
- Share the letter-writing campaign on social media. Note: folks who send a letter will automatically be prompted to do this afterwards. Be sure to use the #WeMakeEvents and #ExtendPUA hashtags when you do!
- Post a red-tinted photo on social media. You can turn any photo red here: https://www11.lunapic.com/editor/?action=tint. We strongly encourage workers to post pictures of themselves working behind the scenes and explain why more government relief is necessary from their own perspectives. Bonus points if you make it your new profile picture! Again, be sure to use the #WeMakeEvents and #ExtendPUA hashtags.
- If you have access to lights that can easily be made red, post a picture of yourself at home with your red lighting! Again, be sure to use the #WeMakeEvents and #ExtendPUA hashtags when you do!
- Print out or post our the #RedAlert day of action flyer, which can be found by clicking here.
- On Twitter, tweet why federal aid and worker-first priorities are urgent for you, and tag your representatives in congress. Click here to see the full list of Senators’ and Representatives’ twitter handles.
Third, we are asking local unions to provide content for the International to lift up. If you or someone at your local has any exceptional content they would like to be featured on the IATSE social media accounts, please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or click here to download our new voices app to send us videos directly.
Finally, for locals engaging in an in-person action, please take extraordinary care for the safety of you and others. Everyone should be wearing masks, social distancing as much as possible, wearing proper footwear, and utilizing sunscreen if necessary.
Please let us know if you have any questions,